Monday, January 17, 2011

Getting ready for spring!

Well, the spring fever bug is here! YAY!! Only it is 45 degrees outside:( The Poo and I have picked out our seeds for the garden this spring. She wanted green beans, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli and squash. All good choices however we will need to acquire the broccoli seeds. We also chose cabbage,lettuce,spinach, bell peppers, beets, peas, black eyed peas, pinto beans, watermelon, cantaloupe, and maybe corn. We are even discussing a fall garden with pumpkins, potatoes and turnips.
Now we are just waiting for a warm day to start tilling the garden. I found out last year that due to the pain in my hands, it takes me one week to till half the garden. Then it takes Papa one Saturday afternoon to finish the rest and put in rows. This year we are going to try to till it twice before we plant and work in some organic matter and compost before we plant.
Papa likes the garden almost as much as us girls do. He used to tell me all the time that he is no farmer, however I think he may be changing his outlook. Last year my mom was sick and all of the watering fell to him. We had a small garden last year but he did a good job with it. The corn and the tomatoes both survived and even flourished. We talked it over this year and decided since I would be home more we would try a larger one than the previous two years.
After we get started I will post some photos of the garden area and the changes we are making. The Poo and I are on pins and needles for warmer days. And somehow I am sure there will be pictures of her gardening in a dress. After all, when you are a princess- warm days are made for dresses :)

3 comments:

lynette355 said...

she is so begging for warm weather and her dresses.....gotta have a farmer poo overall dress....can't wait to see it....maybe we can pop over some too! I love that your planning now. It will help poo feel better with the anticipation of outside time.

Blog Administrator said...

I wouldn't mind some 45 degree weather!

jenjo3d said...

@ Ayvea,I am sure you wouldn't mind. That would be so warm compared to what you have had lately. Since I can't send any sunshine your way I will send warm hugs instead!